Sunday 11 July 2010

After and Before

It is amazing how different a place can look over time. We saw these 1950's pictures today and could not believe we had been in this house. It took us a while to figure out which one it was.

I.9.12 House of Amarantus in March 2009. West side of atrium.

I.9.12 House of Amarantus in 1954. West side of atrium.


I.9.12 House of Amarantus in March 2009. Looking north to steps to tablinum.

I.9.12 House of Amarantus in 1954. Looking north to steps to tablinum.

We hope as this is on Via di Castricio, and on the new Friendly Pompeii route, that it may one day return to its former glory, and people may see it as it was when first excavated.

2 comments:

Jo Berry said...

Where are this pictures from, Jackie and Bob? Are they stills from that Ingrid Bergmann film (can't remember the title, too early on a Sunday morning!)? I thought I had seen all the archival photos of this house, but these are new to me! Shows how much was rebuilt after excavation too ...

Rick Bauer said...

Hi Jackie and Bob,

I will try and drop by Friday, and see if I can get some images for you.

If I remember correctly, the area is still closed off, and many of the walls are braced up.

All the best from Naples,

Rick

Related Posts with Thumbnails